This Sunday, I made a banging banana bread. I was craving it for quite some time and finally made it.
Not to toot my own horn, but my banana bread is a hit amongst my friends and family. I even took it to a work event last year, and everyone wanted to know how I made it!
The recipe I use is my very own. I combined online recipes, my close friend’s advice, as well as plain old trial-and-error. Scroll down for the full recipe!
What I use:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash of cinnamon and allspice (allspice makes a great flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (let sit out for about 2 hours prior to cream)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas (the darker, the sweeter)
- 1/4 cup milk
What I do:
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl (flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and salt)
- Mash all three bananas by hand (with gloves on) in three small bowls for each. **I lightly mash my bananas because I love leaving chunks of banana in the bread**
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer
- Add two eggs to the mix, one a time, then add vanilla extract
- Stir in mashed bananas (do not use the electric mixer for this step)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Once banana mix is done, fold in the flour mix and add milk for creamier texture
- Stir until all ingredients are mixed (make sure to not mash bananas)
- Pour complete mix in a 9″ by 5″ pan that is lathered in unsalted butter or covered in butter spray
- Bake in oven for 1 hour, or as needed (test by sticking a toothpick in the mix, if it comes out dry, the bread is done)
- Cool for 10 minutes then enjoy!
I hope you guys find this recipe useful. Even though I am passionate about fitness and health, I believe we all should treat ourselves. We deserve it!
Anyone else have a favorite treat that they crave time to time? Banana bread is definitely it for me.